Ingredients (yields 10 tarts):
- 2 lbs. frozen puff pastry, thawed and spread into rectangles
- 4 apples of your choice (preference to Pink Lady and/or Granny Smith)
- Water, as needed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 cups of unsweetened applesauce
- Powdered sugar, as needed (for dusting)
- Essential Material:
- Muffin molds
Method of Preparation:
1. Prepare a microwaveable container of ¾ cup-full water to which you will add the juice of one lemon.
2. Rinse the apples, cut them in two, then remove the core and the seeds (no need to peel them.
3. With the help of a mandolin (or a sharp knife), slice apples very thin (so the slices are malleable).
4. As you prepare, arrange the slices in the container of lemon water previously prepared.
5. Heat it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to make the apples supler (so they will be easier to work with), then drain them.
6. In a microwavable container, combine the applesauce with 2 1/2 cups of water, mix well, then heat 1 minute in a microwave.
7. Butter the muffin mold, then preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
8. Evenly cut your dough into 5 horizontal strips.
9. Spread applesauce on each strip of dough.
10. Then place the apple slices on the top half of the strip (they must protrude from the strip of dough) by overlapping them.
11. Fold the lower part of the dough over the apples.
12. Gently roll the strip on itself by tightening well to obtain a beautiful rose.
13. Immediately put in the muffin mold (if the center of the roses is not tight enough, slide a small slice of apple rolled on itself in the center).
14. Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Remove from mold, and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
The Inbal Jerusalem Hotel is an award-winning, deluxe hotel situated in the heart of Jerusalem overlooking the Old City walls, and minutes away from all the major cultural and historical sites. With its Jerusalem stone exterior, the 283-room hotel is known for its intimate authentic Jerusalem character and impeccable world-class service. The hotel was recently awarded the 2016 TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence award. Previously the property was voted the most luxurious hotel in the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Choice Awards, as well as the best hotel in Israel and fourth best hotel in the entire Middle East by readers of the influential Condé Nast Traveler magazine. For more information, please visit www.inbalhotel.com.
By Chef Franck Cherqui, Inbal Jerusalem Hotel